- Nobody likes bitter things. But is not it better to take a fruit or a vegetable instead of medicines? Having bitter gourd juice on an empty stomach has proved to prevent diabetes. You could make stuffed karela (bitter bourd) or fry them like chips and have them as a snack. This will not just bring a change in your menu and give a respite to your taste buds, but also be beneficial to your health.
- Soak a few seeds (1/4 tsps) of methi in water overnight and sallow down the methi along with the water on an empty stomach in morning.
- Jambul fruit is considered as an effective medicine for diabetes considering its effect on pancreas. The seeds too can be dried, powdered and had with water twice a day.
- With its vitamin C property and high fiber content, guava is perhaps one fruit that diabetics can fearlessly have. However, a recent study has shown that having guava with its skin can heighten the blood sugar levels, so make sure you peel off the skin before consumption.
- Gooseberry/amla juice too cuts the blood sugar levels.
- If you can not do without sugar in your coffee or tea, try and substitute honey.
- Studies have shown that black coffee without sugar cuts the risk of Type 2 diabetes.
- Among other benefits, green tea is also helpful in reducing the blood sugar and insulin levels in the body.
- Besides, make regular walk and exercise part of your routine.
Sunday, 26 February 2012
Home Remedies for controlling Blood Sugar
There is an alarming rise in the prevalence of diabetes in India. Thanks to our eating habits and sedentary lifestyle, even gestational diabetes is not uncommon.
The sad fact is that it could affect the baby too. According to recent statistics, India has more people with Type 2 diabetes than any other nation. As opposed to the misconception, eating sweets is not the only cause for this disease. Stress and genes too play a major role in this. Although one can not do much about it if it's genetic, it definitely does not harm to prevent it.
Here are some things that you can do at home to prevent diabetes or reduce it if you already are affected by it.