- Diabetics have to limit their carbohydrate intake because it takes such a long time for most carbohydrates to digest. The carbohydrates that take a longer time to digest, cause higher blood glucose level.
- Diabetics have difficulty breaking down in their system, foods which are high in carbohydrates. Digestion is slow and sugars and starches are absorbed into the blood stream, causing an excess blood glucose level.
- Glycemic Index measures how quickly the carbohydrate present in the food raise your blood sugar and for how long.
- The Glycemic Index is a very helpful tool for diabetics who need to monitor their glucose level.
- The Glycemic Index ranges from one to one hundred. A low food in the glycemic index has a rating of below 55.
- The GI for Wheat –
is 90. Hence it is advisable to avoid wheat if one wants to maintain the blood sugar level without any medication. India